Less of an upgrade, more of an uninstall and re-install, keeping the database.
DO read the blurb on TechNet, especially:
- Upgrading to VMM in System Center 2012 R2
- Prerequisites for Upgrading VMM
- Planning Considerations for Upgrading VMM
- Tasks to Perform Before Beginning the VMM Upgrade
- Performing Post-Upgrade Tasks in VMM
I was running VMM 2012 SP1 on Server 2012 with a remote SQL 2008 R2 database. Some notes based on my experience of the “upgrade”:
- Do backup your VMM database before uninstalling VMM 2012 SP1
- I had VMM 2012 SP1 rollup 2 and 3 installed, as well as the VMM console plus its rollup 2 & 3. I had to uninstall all these first, otherwise when I tried to uninstall VMM 2012 SP1 I got an error box telling me that “You cannot upgrade from the currently installed version of VMM to System Center 2012 SP1 – Virtual Machine Manager. You must first uninstall VMM, and then install System Center 2012 SP1. If you are running System Center 2012, when you uninstall VMM, you can retain the database. When you install System Center 2012 SP1, use the retained database.”. I love the irony of being told that I can’t upgrade when I’m actually trying to uninstall, and especially as the uninstall is a requirement of the so-called upgrade to 2012 R2! I uninstalled the two rollups, rebooting in between, then uninstalled VMM 2012 SP1, and rebooted again.
- Do ensure that you choose the option to keep the database, I think this was the default.
- When trying to install VMM 2012 R2, I was told of a missing pre-requisite of SQL Server 2008 R2 Command Line tools but they have a pre-requisite of the SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client. You can get both from the “Install Instructions” section of this page – I used the x64 version of both and these worked fine. Note that the SQL 2008 R2 Native Client has a pre-requisite of .Net Framework 3.5, which you can add by using PowerShell (but you need to specify a source path):
Add-WindowsFeature -Name WAS-NET-Environment -Source “\\path\to\a\Server_2012\sxs_folder”
- You’ll also need .Net 4.5 for VMM 2012 R2.
- I lost my connection to SCOM 2012, and had to re-add it.