Just installed VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 5.0.1 875114 by doing a Client-Server installation.
I installed the Converter server and Remote access components onto my vCenter server (had to change the ports from 443 & 80 to something else as these were already in use – I picked 5443 and 580), and the Converter client onto my PC.
Upon running the client on my PC I entered the server name as vcenterserver:5443
I then started the Convert machine process. After putting in the remote machine details I clicked the View source details… link and got a yellow error bar appear at the top of the Conversion window:
A general system error occurred: Crypto Exception: error:02001005:system library:fopen:Input/output error:unable to load C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\ssl\rui.crt
I wasn’t able to proceed any further through the conversion process.
I did an Export diagnostic logs… from the link at the bottom left of the Conversion window and found the same error in the ConverterDiagnostics20130206131422.zip\worker-source-diagnostics-bvy.zip\vmware-converter-worker-1.log file:
2013-02-06T13:04:50.165Z [10068 error 'Default'] Crypto Exception: error:02001005:system library:fopen:Input/output error:unable to load C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\ssl\rui.crt 2013-02-06T13:04:50.165Z [10068 error 'Default'] Found dangling SSL error:  error:00000001:lib(0):func(0):reason(1)
A VMware forum post suggests running the client “as administrator” (i.e. right-click and “run as administrator”) but this didn’t work, same error. Another suggests using the remote machine’s IP address, again, no change for me. Yet another suggests fixing the permissions on the referenced ssl folder in ProgramData – whilst checking this I found that I had no ssl folder at all.
So I created an ssl folder and ensured that the local Administrators and local Users groups both had Full Control NTFS permissions to it. Running the client as normal, or “as administrator” didn’t work. No files were populated into that folder. I ran the installer and chose the “Repair” option. No files appeared.
Finally I looked for that folder on the server that I’d put the server component on, and there were two files present: rui.crt and rui.key. I copied those into the ssl folder on my PC, problem solved.
So it seems as though the installer is a bit broken, especially if you install the client and server components onto different machines.